We don't want to wake you in the night! If you're outside the UK please click here for important time zone info.
- Though everyone's welcome to take part, mappiness was originally intended for the UK only. Because of this, the "Don't beep before" and "Don't beep after" times in the app settings are always UK times, wherever in the world you are.
- The UK (or 'London') time zone is the same as GMT/UTC from November to March, and GMT/UTC+1 from April to October. Services like Every Time Zone can help you work out your beep times in this time zone.
- For example, if you're in California, set "Don't beep before" to 4pm and "Don't beep after" to 6am in order to be beeped between 8am and 10pm your time.
mappiness maps happiness across space in the UK
mappiness is a free app for your iPhone
It's part of a research project at the London School of Economics
We'd love to have you on board!
how does it work?
- You get mappiness from the App Store, open it, and sign up
- We beep you once (or more) a day to ask how you're feeling, and a few basic things to control for: who you're with, where you are, what you're doing (if you're outdoors, you can also take a photo)
- The data gets sent back — anonymously and securely — to our data store, along with your approximate location from the iPhone's GPS, and a noise-level measure
what's in it for you?
- Interesting information about your own happiness, which you can download or see charted inside the app — including when, where and with whom you're happiest
- The warm glow of helping increase the sum of human knowledge
what's in it for us?
- We're particularly interested in how people's happiness is affected by their local environment — air pollution, noise, green spaces, and so on — which the data from mappiness will be absolutely great for investigating
- We hope to have results published in academic journals and elsewhere — whatever we produce will be linked from here
get the app
tell me more